The Human Resources Generalist is accountable for assisting with the design and implementation of HR programs and policies, while leading the ongoing administration of a variety of HR services to their client group, such as recruitment, selection, attraction and retention initiatives, performance management, compensation administration, organizational development and employee relations strategies. This position works closely with both management and employees of their client group to ensure that programs and practices are in place that support company objectives, are cost effective and are in compliance with legislation.
- A University degree/College diploma and/or equivalent experience in a field related to Human Resources Management
- 3 to 5 years experience in a Human Resources function.
- Knowledge of Human Resources practices and principles, as well as knowledge of all applicable labour, human rights, and health and safety legislation.
- Must be proficient in use of computers, including word processing, spreadsheet and database programs, and HRIS, email software and internet applications.
- Some basic knowledge of Payroll processes and procedures would be an asset.
- This position will require local travel 1-2 times per week.
- Discuss workforce needs with hiring managers in order to best devise an appropriate recruitment and selection strategy; executing that strategy in a timely and cost-effective manner;
- New employee orientation; supplying all appropriate company information to employees.
- Ensuring proper maintenance of position description, job analysis and job evaluation information for all positions within their client group.
- Ensuring proper maintenance, adherence and application of the salary administration, compensation programs and other reward strategies.
- Ensuring proper processing of benefits while aiding and educating client group employees with respect to their benefits and working with applicable colleagues and client group employees to ensure mutually beneficial return to work strategies and WSIB, STD and LTD case management.
- Compiling and reporting Human Resources information such as headcount, workplace accidents, turnover, etc. to both internal and external contacts.
- Work closely with management and employees to identify, counsel and resolve employee relations issues in a timely and mutually beneficial manner.
- Work with management and employees to identify, counsel and coach through performance management and behavioural issues, providing corrective action and progressive discipline as appropriate.
- Work with management and employees to identify training and development opportunities.
- Take the lead within the client group for divisional and corporate wide HR initiatives.
- Work closely with management and HR Executives to devise and execute exit strategies for affected employees, analyzing employment contracts, employee information, and legislative requirements, in order to determine and calculate severance payments, and prepare separation agreements in accordance with the Labour Standards Act.
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
- Excellent communication, presentation, and human relations skills allowing to deal with sensitive and confidential employee matters;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including strong negotiation, coaching, mediation and persuasion skills
- Keen business sense when problem solving, analyzing information and making decisions.
- Demonstrated initiative and flexibility; acts proactively in identifying and capitalizing on opportunities.
- Good planning, time management, and organization skills.
- Tolerance for ambiguity.
- Must be able to work effectively independently and in a time environment.
- Sense of urgency and customer service orientation.
- Relationship building skills and ability to gain trust and confidence of a client group.